Sunday, March 7, 2010

Dutch Oven Leg of Lamb

We bought two spring lambs from our friends Dan and Kathy out in Cartoogechaye. So now I've got a freezer full of delicious, local lamb, and I've also got a new Dutch oven that I've been wanting to break in.  So, what do you think I came up with?  I decided to invite the fam over for some Dutch oven roasted leg o' lamb.

Searching the net for Dutch oven roasted leg of lamb didn't really yield me too many results (most were for braised 7-hour lamb), but I did find a site about Dutch oven meat which gave me some good pointers. I followed its advice pretty closely, with a few changes.

This is what I did.  I studded the lamb with a generous number of garlic spikes and rubbed it with olive oil, black pepper, rosemary, salt, and more garlic and then let it sit in the fridge over night.  I placed it on a rack in my 12" oven, surrounded by potatos and onions which themselves were oiled and seasoned.  I placed 12 briquettes below the oven and 24 on the lid.  I cooked it for 2 hrs, took it out, and let it sit for another 20 minutes before carving it.  It was done perfectly, rare to medium rare; it couldn't have been any better!  The fam loved it; it melted in my mouth, just like prime rib. I would say that this recipe is a keeper!

This is what I saw when I pulled the lid off the pot:

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you don't need any help with leg of lamb. My mouth is watering. I to was a hiker, but I now have a bum knee I am trying to get replaced, and I am 68. If I get it fixed soon I may try again. I have been a DO cook now for over 20 years, if I can help in any way ,let me know. But it looks like you know what your doing
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiker, that looks pretty tasty!

    Theres a great group of Dutch Oven enthusiast over at camp-cook.com. Check it out if you like. Meanwhile, I might just have to "borrow" your lamb recipe!

    ReplyDelete