Sunday, June 6, 2010

Dutch Oven Pork Roast with Apples and Onions

Ingredients:
4 lb. Pork Loin End Roast
Fresh Garlic
Fresh Sage
Fresh Rosemary
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 cup White Wine (I used Chardonnay)
2 cups organic Apple Juice (I wanted cider)
2 Granny Smith Apples, one sliced, one cut into 1" cubes
4 small Vidalia Onions sliced

Prepare the roast in the morning by trimming the visible fat. Stab the top of the roast with a sharp knife and liberally insert fat garlic slivers. Rub the roast with salt and pepper. Chop sage and rosemary, mix with olive oil, and rub on roast. Wrap meat and place in fridge.

To Cook
Prepare 22 charcoal briquettes.
Simmer the apple juice, wine, and cubed apple into a sauce pan on the stove top.
Place the hot briquettes underneath the dutch oven and brown the pork roast all sides.
When it's brown, take roast out of dutch oven and remove 15 briquettes from below dutch oven (leaving about 7).
Place sliced apple in the bottom of the dutch oven.
Set roast on top of apples, surround with sliced onions.
Pour heated juice over the top.
Place the lid on the oven and place the remaining briquettes (should be about 15) on top.
Cook for about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs until it reaches an internal temp of 170 degrees.
Remove roast, place on counter top covered with foil.
Pour juice in sauce pan and heat to thicken (I did use a little cornstarch).

To Serve
Slice thin, serve with au jus.
We ate the onions and apples on the side (in au jus) and served a green salad and cous-cous.



It's a keeper! It was a big hit with the fam and fed 4 hungry adults and 3 kids, with left overs.
The apple-wine-onion combination really worked and was something deliciously different to my taste.
Next time I cook this dish I will add more sliced apples. We wanted more!

4 comments:

  1. Looks good. I did some pork yesterday also but was after a different look to it which I didnt achieve. I did my apples separately in a small oven piggybacked on top and that worked well for me. I love the idea of the onions and apples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! It's been a long time sens I have been able to do much Hiking. This coming Monday I go in for knee replacement. I hope to be on the trail by the end of summer. I have hiked almost every trail in the High Sierras, but can't walk more than 1/2 mi now. This will change. I also like to see your dutch oven cooking photos. Ron Clanton, Rogue dutch oven cooker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just got a dutch oven and this looks like a great recipe to try. Can I ask whether you had to refresh the coals during the cooking time, or did the original 22 briquettes last the whole 2.5hr cooking time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wallenstein, I don't remember if I had to refresh the coals on this particular date. Sometimes I do, but usually I can get the 2.5 hr cooking time without refreshing it. I kind of take it as it comes and I fly by the seat of my pants, if you know what I mean. Happy cooking and I hope you have fun with the d.o.!

      Delete