Sunday, November 28, 2010

Cades Cove Weekend


Black Betty and I are home from a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend camping trip to Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I figured that the crowds would be gone (they were) and the camping would be sweet. It was a rare opportunity to enjoy the Cove without having to experience the horrible traffic-choked nightmare that the loop has become during peak season. The campground was also sparsely populated, creating a quiet and peaceful campsite.

We awoke to heavy frosts on Saturday and Sunday mornings with temps in the 20's. The little pop-up was pretty chilly, the only warm place around was deep inside our sleeping bags. It made for some great camp fire time, though.  The stars were spectacular in the night sky and I was treated to a couple of the quietest nights that I've experienced since my AT hike. What a great setting to enjoy eating our Thanksgiving left-overs in. Mmmm pie!

Black Betty told me that it was all worth it (speaking of the cold) as we watched 2 bear cubs and their momma dig for grubs while they sauntered through the  chilly woods on Sunday morning. She was right!









3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time. I'd like to get a small pop-up, too. had one many moons ago and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts on your blog. Sounds like you had a lovely camping experience. I would love to send you a cd to u and Black Betty that you requested, just send me your address. You can email me at scarycaro@hotmail.com.
    Thanks soo much,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brr... too cold for us! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete