Monday, February 22, 2010

South Walton Beach Trip


I survived my foray into the northwest Florida beaches this weekend. I enjoyed an easy and laid-back weekend of cycling and eating with my brother, Matt. We put in over 108 flat miles of touring the south Walton Beach area, using his house in Santa Rosa Beach as a base camp. The weather co-operated beautifully and despite being out of riding shape, we managed to thoroughly enjoy the three days of riding and sightseeing.




Highlights included a circumnavigation of Choctawhatchee Bay utilizing the Freeport Bridge and the 3.6 mile long Mid-Bay bridge. I must say that the best part of this ride had to be the fried oyster sandwich at Nick's Seafood Restaurant on Hwy. 20.







We also toured Grayton Beach State Park, Camp Helen, and the beautiful antebellum Eden State Park. (I was looking for "the old folks, tied in white robes"...didn't see any). The majestic live oaks were awesome though and I could have used some banjo to take me down-home.




Oh yeah, the bike was great. The new components were perfect, she rolled sweet........





1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, a beach house as a base camp is the best way to go! Looks like a beautiful area. My wife and I do a credit card tour at the Outerbanks every year and love the coast for touring.

    Thanks for sharing your trip,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete