Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dutch Oven Venison Meatloaf


I am a hiker not a hunter but I do love the taste of game meat, so whenever folks offer it to me I am more than happy to take it off their hands. Recently I found myself in possession of 3 pounds of ground venison and I decided that a dutch oven meatloaf would be mighty tasty.



Mix together thoroughly:
3lbs. ground venison
1 lb. ground pork sausage
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup ketchup
2 eggs
1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix

Form into a loaf.
Use the basket weaving skills that you acquired in college and neatly cover the top of the loaf with any thick sliced bacon that you would like.

Bake in a 12 inch medium heat Dutch oven for 1 hour or until meat reaches 160 degrees internal temperature.

Notes:
I used 20 charcoals on top and 10 on bottom. 
The sausage was added since the venison was so lean, the added fat was perfect.
About halfway through the cooking, I carefully removed the lid from the D.O. and drained the fat.
I mixed my loaf ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.
Let it stand for a few minutes after baking and before slicing and carving.
I use a digital remote thermometer, I love it.
I would have taken it off at 150 degrees, but went to 160 because of the pork.
This meatloaf was moist and delicious, everyone loved it. 



In the pot.





A thing of beauty!











No comments:

Post a Comment